- User privacy statement >
- Information we collect & use >
- Sharing information >
- Your choices regarding your information >
- EU Users: accessing & correcting your personal information >
- Security & storage of information >
- Persons under the age of 13 >
- Links to third party websites >
- Updates to this policy >
- Contacting us >
- Last revision date >
- Product-specific privacy terms >
User privacy statement
Information we collect & use
Generally. We collect personal information from our users in order to provide you with a personalized, useful and efficient experience. The categories of information we collect can include:
- Information you provide. We may collect and store personal information you register for our Service or provide to us in some other manner, including your name, birthdate, email address, password, and location. We may also collect any communications between you and Blackboard, as well as any information you provide if you take part in any interactive features of the Service, including surveys or request for testimonials.
- Data collected through the use of the Service. After you set up your account, you may choose to provide additional information which may be shared through public profiles, such as your photograph, biographical content and other personal information you provide to the Service (collectively, “Profile Information”). We also collect information about how you use the Service and about your actions on the Service, including your interaction with others on the Service and user content you post to the Service in chat rooms, forums, or other content (“User Content”). Please remember that Blackboard may, but has no obligation to, monitor User Content posted by our members.
- Information we receive from social networking sites. When you interact with our site through various social media, such as when you login through Facebook, or share Blackboard content on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or other sites, we may receive information from the social network including your profile information, profile picture, gender, user name, user ID associated with your social media account, age range, language, country, friends list, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. We may use your friends data to let you know what your friends are doing on our Service, and to let your friends know what you are doing on the Service, and we may use it to suggest new friends you may want to connect with. The data we receive is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network, and we will not post information about you on third party social media sites without your consent. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our website or Service.
- Address Book Information. With your permission, Blackboard may access your contact list available on your mobile device or in your email accounts. We may request this information in order to locate your friends and contacts on the Service or to invite your friends and contacts to connect with our Service. If you ask us to send an invitation to your friends to join the Service, we will include your name and photo to let them know that you are the person extending the invitation. After sending these invitations, we may also send reminder emails to your invitees on your behalf. We will store these contacts for purposes of alerting you when your contacts join Blackboard at a later time so that you may connect with them on the Service, and to suggest friends and connections to other members of Blackboard.
- Information we receive from third parties. We may receive information about you from third parties, like your school or educational institution if you have given the school consent to share data with Blackboard.
We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages and push notifications, to permit you to communicate with others on the Service or on social media or invite others to join the Service. We may combine information internally across different Service offerings to enhance your experience with our Service. For example, we may identify a course you take through OpenEducation and suggest that you include this in your MyEdu profile. We may also use information about your activities on the Service to provide personalized content, including interest-based advertising. We may also send you Service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, change or updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). For more information about your communication preferences, see “Your Choices Regarding Your Information” below.
We automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our website or use our Service. When you visit the Service, we may send one or more cookies — a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, how frequently you access the Service, and other actions you take on the Service), and allow us to track your usage of the Service over time. We may collect log file information from your browser or mobile device each time you access the Service. Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service. We may work with third parties to employ technologies, including the application of statistical modeling tools, which attempt to recognize you across multiple devices so that we understand how you use our Service across various devices. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics of our users. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your use of third party applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Service. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are not able to respond to Do Not Track signals from your browser at this time.
When you access our Service by or through a mobile device, we may receive or collect and store a unique identification numbers associated with your device or our mobile application (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers (“IDFA”), Google Ad ID, or Windows Advertising ID), mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device.
We use or may use the data collected through cookies, log file, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs information to:
- remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site;
- provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising;
- provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service;
- monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our website and our Service;
- diagnose or fix technology problems; and
- otherwise to plan for and enhance our service.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Your Choices Regarding Your Information” section below. Additionally, there may be product-specific data disclosures detailed in the Specific Product Practices section, below.
We may share your personal information with:
- The public and other members of the Service. Many of our products allow you to connect and interact with others. If you interact with others on the Service, your profile information will be viewable by others on the Service, and, depending on your privacy settings and the product functionality, may be viewable by the public and be searchable by search engines. You may be able to control the visibility of some of your information and actions in your product Setting and Privacy. See “Specific Product Practices” below to learn more about product-specific data sharing practices;
- Other companies owned by or under common ownership as Blackboard, which also includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries it owns. These companies will use your personal information in the same way as we can under this Policy;
- Third party vendors, consultants and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, in order to carry out their work for us, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements, content or service fulfillment, or providing analytics services;
- Other parties in connection with any company transaction, such as a merger, sale of all or a portion of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party or in the event of bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings; and
- Third parties as required to
- satisfy any applicable law, regulation, subpoena/court order, legal process or other government request,
- investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations,
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Blackboard, its users or the public as required or permitted by law and
- detect, prevent or otherwise address criminal (including fraud or stalking), security or technical issues.
We may also share information with others in an aggregated and anonymous form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual. In the future, we may share your information with third parties for marketing purposes but we will let you know before we do so.
Your choices regarding your information
Profile and Data Sharing Settings.
You may change some of your data sharing preferences on your Settings and Privacy page. For example, depending on the Service, you may be able to change your privacy settings to restrict data sharing with certain types of individuals or businesses.
If you do not wish to receive promotional emails, you can change your email preferences on your Settings and Privacy page on our websites, or you can click the “unsubscribe” button on promotional email communications. Note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, change or updates to features of the Service, or technical and security notices.
We may permit third party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our website over time so that they may play or display ads that may be relevant to your interests on our Service as well as on other websites or apps. Typically, the information we share is provided through cookies or similar tracking technologies. You may be able to “opt out” of the collection of any information through cookies or similar tracking technology by managing the settings on your browser or mobile device. Please refer to your browser’s or mobile device’s technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools. (To learn more about cookies, clear gifs/web beacons and related technologies and how you may opt-out of some of this tracking, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org). If you access our service on your mobile device, you may not be able to control tracking technologies through settings.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. You may be able to delete or deactivate your account in your Settings and Privacy page. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have questions about deleting your information. Please be aware that we may not be able to delete your content in all circumstances. For example, we will not be able to delete any content you have shared with others or with social media sites. Also note that it may not be possible for us to purge your personal information in its entirety because we perform routine back up functions which are subject to our document destruction and record retention requirements and guidelines.
Deleting or Anonymizing Your Content:
If you are under 18 years of age, you may request that the User Content that you posted to the Service be deleted or anonymized such that your personal information will not be identifiable publicly on our Service by [email protected]. While we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to delete or anonymize your User Content upon request, please be aware that due to the social nature of some of our Services, you may not be able to completely remove all of your personally identifiable User Content if, for example, that content has been stored, republished, or reposted by another user or a third party. We may also maintain your information in identifiable form for our internal use, even if your personal data is no longer visible to the public on our Service.
EU Users: accessing & correcting your personal information
If you are a resident in the EU, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used;
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you; and
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you and to request the blocking or deletion of your personal information where the processing does not comply with local data protection laws. To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the "Contacting Us" section below. Please provide as much information as you can about the personal information you are enquiring about.
Security & storage of information
Blackboard cares about the security of your information and uses commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technological safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information we collect and that we share with our service providers. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Persons under the age of 13
The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information collected from a child under 13, please contact us at [email protected]
Links to third party websites
The Services may contain links to and from third party websites of our business partners, advertisers, and social media sites and our users may post links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
Updates to this policy
If you have questions about this Policy, please contact us at:
1111 19th Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20006
P: +1 202.303.9372
Efax: +1 623.476.1481
Last revision date
This Policy was last revised on, and effective as of, March 2016.
Product-specific privacy terms
This MyEdu Privacy Statement has been updated to replace the previous version of 9 December 2015. The changes reflect the acquisition of MyEdu by Blackboard, and the integration of MyEdu policy disclosures into Blackboard’s consumer privacy statement and terms. You can see the previous version of the MyEdu Privacy Statement here: https://www.myedu.com/about/myedu/privacy/.
The MyEdu service is designed to provide you with the best possible product, tools, services and opportunities for mapping out your college experience and to poise you for a successful transition into your career. The more complete your MyEdu Profile and the more visibility it garners, the greater the opportunity for success. To that end, we want to ensure you understand how we manage the important data that you provide. In addition to the practices described in the Blackboard Consumer Privacy Statement, above, the following data practices relate specifically to the MyEdu Service. By continuing to use this Service, you agree to this Privacy Statement and to the MyEdu Terms of Service[hyperlink].
Information we collect and use through MyEdu Service. We collect information that you provide about yourself, your course of study, educational history, career goals, skills, interests, and other information you provide when you sign up for MyEdu and complete your profile.
If you access MyEdu through your school’s Blackboard Learn Service, we may collect certain information about you from your school, such as your name, email address and other contact information, year of graduation, major field of study, participation in school clubs or sports teams, honors or awards received, and other information that your school has designated as “Directory Information” under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”).
We may collect personal information that you permit your school or educational institution to share with us. If you access MyEdu through your school’s Blackboard Learn Service, you may wish to provide information from your educational record, such as your course schedule, grades, course of study, and recommendations, to enhance your MyEdu profile. You must provide consent to have your school share your personal information with. Once your information is provided to MyEdu, your information will be subject to this Privacy Statement.
We collect information about how you use the Service and about your interactions with others on the My Edu Service.
II. How we share information through the MyEdu Service.
The MyEdu Service is designed to permit you to share information with other people. Providing more personal information and sharing with more people will enhance your experience.
You control the information you privately or publicly share about yourself as a member of MyEdu. Through the Settings and Privacy page, you can set your profile to be viewed by Everyone, Employers and Students, All Students, Students from your School, or Hidden, and you can change these preferences at any time. Please remember that information that you share publicly may be accessible by other users, companies and third parties and may appear on other websites or web searches, and therefore the information could be read, collected, and/or used by others. We have no control over whether other users may do with the information you voluntarily post and make public, so please use caution when posting data that is categorized as public, and be sure to periodically review, if necessary, your privacy settings.
Depending on your privacy settings, we may share your information with our third party partners, including employers, on the Service who may be looking for candidates like you.
We may share your information with your consent, such as if you want to contact a particular individual or company on the MyEdu Service.
OpenEducation We collect information, including user name and password, name, and contact information when you register for our Open Education Service. We also collect user content you provide in class discussions, chat rooms, messaging, or comment features.
We partner with educational institutions to provide educational content through the Open Education Service. With your consent, we will share your information with the educational institution that provides your course, so that the educational institution can send you course information as well as emails and other messages offering you additional content and services you may enjoy. To change your data sharing preferences or to withdraw your consent, please contact us at [email protected].