Our mission is to partner with the global education community to enable student and institutional success, leveraging innovative technologies and services. To support this mission, we’re focusing on design: on producing beautiful, easy to use software that helps learners succeed, and helps educators better do their job.
This site is intended to catalog and showcase our design work, and offer extensible design elements for use by our partners and developer network. We encourage you to browse and explore our design guidelines and processes, download assets and resources, and help us build the future of educational solutions.
Building Great Products: A Video
Our goal is to create beautiful designs that are easy to use and support the academic journey. Specifically, we aim to:
- Design interactions that are easy to learn and powerful to leverage
- Produce a visual design language that highlights content and capability, minimizing decoration in order to maximize communication
- Leverage motion to aid in understanding and add moments of delight
Our design language is based on principles of approachable simplicity, intended to resonate with an audience of students, parents, faculty, and alumni.
- Our base aesthetic is simple and monochromatic, and color is used for meaning rather than decoration
- Motion is used playfully, to encourage particular interactions and exploration
- Our interaction language is powerful and forgiving, allowing for and encouraging exploration
We’ve developed a holistic design language system that you can leverage in developing capabilities with Blackboard. Learn about our design language and how we use it to build a broad and familiar set of products.
We’re assembling a component library, design specifications, and other templates that can be leveraged in further product development. Browse through our library of resources and templates.